Saturday, 30 June 2012
The Allotment so far
These are a couple of pictures of the site after I had given it a good strim and double dug an area approx. 4x4 m which is really hard work by the way but all the guys I've talked to down there swear by the method and guarantee it's the best way to keep the weeds at bay, plus I don't really want to use any weed killer if I can help it.
The next job has been to get together things needed to build a shed as I can't bring myself to buy one from the likes of B&Q; they cost a bomb and from what I can see are made of match sticks. So I've had a look around and drew some inspiration from this site:/http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/ It's deffo worth a look.
As of last night this is as far as we (me and my brother Matthew) got having run out of the large pallets we were using for the roof, this was unforeseen as we started building without any idea what it was going to look like we just went with the flow and went were the pallets took us.
Other things we have so far collected are.
A roll and a bit of large diameter gas pipe which we intend to use for a poly tunnel.
And some old scaffolding poles which will also be used for the building of the tunnel. Before I started this project I thought that sourcing all the materials for free would have been a real struggle, especially during these tough times. But I have been pleasantly surprised by peoples' generosity and I now firmly believe if you don't ask you're not gonna get.
This is the sort of thing I'm looking at building as regards a poly tunnel, although I think I'm going to make mine larger than the one shown and will also try and make the sides higher to create some more all round height.
That's gonna be it for now. I will attempt to keep up to date with this and we'll see where it goes. Thanks Chris, Lydia, Teddy & Ruby (& Matthew)